Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blaiz got Bumped : How to Remove Scratch Marks

It is an extremely tough job to keep your car unblemished when they are being used for travel on a daily basis. Add to that Kolkata's rowdy drivers, auto rickshaws, cabs, fearless cycle riders, cycles vans and you get the perfect recipe for any car lover's nightmare !! So on one such fateful day, when Blaiz was being taken out of the office garage, a fully loaded cycle van rammed into it resulting into a huge dent on the right side rear fender with scratches all over it.
The outcome of the accident:


Although there is nothing much that I can do about the dent, I can surely try to get rid of those scratch and paint marks.
So the first thing I needed to do was to rub out the paint marks using a rubbing compound. I used the Turtle Rubbing Compound here. If you don't have such compound, a Scotch Brite or 2000 grit sand paper would also suffice, but make sure you use a polishing compound after the rubbing.
The outcome:


The rubbing helped me get rid of almost all the marks and scratches, but the surface had become rough and devoid of any shine. So to restore the smooth and shiny finesse I used the 3M Liquid Polish followed by waxing with Formula 1 Carnauba Car Wax. To cover those cracks and deep scratches, I simply used a white-ink pen to camouflage the effect.
Here is the final result:


I think the scars have been covered pretty decently. Whereas, the dent would need the hands of a professional to get healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment